When it comes to applying makeup, the right tools can make all the difference. Makeup brushes are essential for achieving a flawless and professional finish. However, with so many options available, it can be overwhelming to determine which brushes are truly necessary for your makeup routine. To help you navigate through the sea of choices, we've compiled a list of essential makeup brushes that every beauty enthusiast should consider having in their collection.
1. Foundation Brush or Beauty Blender: A good foundation brush or beauty blender is a must-have for creating a seamless base. These tools are designed to evenly distribute foundation and blend it into the skin for a natural-looking finish. Whether you prefer a brush or a sponge, find one that suits your application style and helps you achieve the desired coverage.
2. Contour/Blending Brush: This brush is thinner than a typical powder brush and is used to define your cheekbones and create a sculpted look. They typically feature angled or tapered bristles, for smooth, precise application in a single swipe. You can contour many different areas on the face, including under the cheekbones, jaw, nose, and on your forehead around your hairline.
3. Blush Brush: To add a touch of colour to your cheeks, you’ll need a blush brush. This brush typically has a rounded or oval brush head, designed to add some colour and brightness to your skin. Whether you prefer a subtle flush or a more intense pop of colour, a blush brush will help you achieve the desired effect.
4. Powder Brush: A large, fluffy powder brush is ideal for applying loose or pressed powder to set your foundation, reduce shine, and create a smooth canvas for the rest of your makeup. The soft bristles allow for a light and even application, preventing a cakey appearance.
5. Concealer Brush: This small flat rounded brush is ideal for applying concealer on targeted areas like blemishes, under the eyes, nose and mouth.
6. Eyeshadow Brush: An eyeshadow brush is an essential part of any makeup lover's collection. This small fluffy brush is ideal for applying eyeshadow colours and helps to blend and diffuse them seamlessly.
While these are the core brushes that every makeup enthusiast should consider having in their arsenal, it's important to remember that personal preferences and individual makeup routines may require additional brushes. Brushes for contouring, highlighting, and brow grooming are popular choices for those who enjoy more elaborate makeup looks.
Investing in high-quality brushes is also crucial, as they tend to last longer and provide better results. Proper care and cleaning of your brushes are essential for maintaining their longevity and hygiene.
How to Clean Your Brushes
Now that you’ve swiped, dusted, and dabbed, it’s time to get those brushes squeaky clean. While cleaning your brushes after applying your makeup is probably the last thing you want to do (we get it!), taking just a few minutes to wash will help reduce bacteria build-up and prevent skin breakouts. While we go in-depth on how to clean your brushes and which brush cleaner to use, here's a basic step-by-step to get your brushes squeaky-clean:
Step 1: Rinse brushes under water for a minute and run through bristles with your fingers to remove clumps.
Step 2: Take a pea-sized amount of brush soap and gently moisten the bristles. Let it soak in for three minutes.
Step 3: Rinse off your brushes one last time, then let them air dry.